Thursday 26 January 2012

Happy Mondays @ The Amersham Arms, New Cross



Oh, The Amersham Arms...if you live in the New Cross area, go to Goldsmiths or, let's be honest, are a tiny bit of a hipster, you'll probably be very familiar with this pub. I won't lie, it's a pretty good venue. It's within walking distance of my house and New Cross station, it's nice and cosy (perhaps a little bit too cosy for my liking if you go on a Friday night), and does good drinks and good food. But, considering I generally judge a pub on the price of its' double gin and tonic (the cheaper the better), I tend to run out of money very quickly when I go there!



However, I'm not here to slag the place off. It is pretty alright. REGARDLESS, the Amersham Arms is now my favourite place to be every other Monday night. Their 'Happy Mondays' comedy night is ridiculously fun. Holly Walsh, who you'll probably recognise if you watch comedy panel shows such as Mock The Week and Never Mind The Buzzcocks, is Happy Mondays' resident MC, providing standup between acts and she really is genuinely funny, as are all of the acts that I've seen there.



Previous acts include Rich Fulcher (of The Mighty Boosh fame), Isy Suttie (Peep Show), Stephen Merchant and many more. A quick Google search of any act you see performing at Happy Mondays will tell you that the majority have been on well-known comedy panel TV shows, or have been nominated for the Perrier Award, or are even the president of the Cambridge Footlights! My friends and I got to see said Footlights president a few weeks back at Happy Monday's; Phil Wang, who absolutely floored us with his laconic anecdotes of life at Cambridge University.


So, if you're up for a fun night with friends which involves drinking, eating, and laughing, then Happy Monday's at the Amersham Arms is perfect. Oh, did I forget to mention that it's £4.89? Yes, four pounds and eighty nine pence. It's a bargain and you have absolutely no reason not to give Happy Mondays a go.



Tips
  • Book your ticket in advance. The Facebook group which I've linked to below will link to an online ticket service for each event. It says that it costs more on the door but I have no idea just how much, so better safe than sorry!
  • Sign up to the mailing list at the end of the night. They email you more information about upcoming nights with plenty of time for you to research the acts.
  • Remember it's every other Monday! Check the Facebook group to see when the next show is on.
  • Get there early. The show starts at roughly 8pm, but I tend to get there around 7:20. It gives you enough time to get you and your mates seats (the pub is pretty small), and start getting the drinks in!


Photos: (C) Thomas Orger
Nearest station: New Cross
Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Happy-Mondays-Gig/156539587714064

3 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to go here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, mondays sorted when I'm next south of the river, thanks! Nicola http://homemadekids.wordpress.com or http://aroundbritainnoplane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete